You are Here:
Home > The best of 2004...thank god is over!!
The best of 2004...thank god is over!!
By ALEX "XUPOL" VARELA, MOP Squad Sports Staff Writer
Dec 31, 2004 - 7:56:00 PM
Email this article
Printer friendly page
***If you would like a Spanish translation of this column, please email Alex directly at email@example.com***
What a year boys and girls, finally, it’s over!!!.
Hi everyone!! How are you? I hope fine, well, the last “Mexican comment” of the 2004 is here, and, to tell you the truth, I really don’t know what to write and say in this column, let me think what can I write here, hmmm, okay! I know what, let’s make the top 10 best moments of the WWE, the top 10 worst moments of the WWE, the best WWE, Intercontinental, U.S., World Heavyweight, Tag Team, World Tag Team, Women’s and Cruiserweight Champion of the year, the top 5 best RAW superstars of the year, the worst 5 RAW superstars of the year, the same with Smackdown! Superstars, best women of the year, best WWE debut, worst WWE debut, and finally, the Best WWE superstar of the year, well, we have a long list, so, stay tuned, and here we go!!
THE BEST 10 MOMENTS OF THE WWE:
10. “Na na na na” to Brock Lesnar in WMXX: The match was very boring; they didn’t do anything!! But the crowd was the winner in this match, they don’t stop screaming things to Brock and Goldberg, the famous “Na na na na, na na na na, he he he, good bye!!! “You sold out” and things like that, Brock seems very angry with this but they have it well-deserved, good moment here.
9. The fall of Lita in her match against Trish on Monday night RAW (like 2 or 3 weeks ago): God what a fall, I remember it very well, Trish was down, and Lita looks like if she was preparing something, she runs to the ropes, and she make a suicide move to Trish, but when she was falling, she hit Trish and her head hit to the ground, she looks like a pretzel when she was falling!! The referee went down very quickly and check Lita first, she was fine, and she won the Women’s Championship that night.
8. Jorge “Maromero” Paez with Rey Mysterio on Judgment Day: Maybe you don’t know him very well, but he is a legend here in Mexico, it was an honor to see him again, to see him with Rey and the best, he gave him a right hand to Chavo Classic, ouch! A thought one.
7. The Slid of Ultimo Dragon in Wrestlemania XX: Hey!! This was a funny one, in the battle royal for the Cruiserweight Championship, the first one in enter was the Ultimo Dragon, first, in the entrance, he make a false step and almost fell in front of all Madison Square Garden, then, he was in the ring, he go to the ropes to salute the people and he slip again!!! O my, I was laughing like hell!!!
6. The Rock Returns on Wrestlemania XX: Mick was in trouble when he had a big problem with Randy Orton and the rest of Evolution, every single RAW we were looking how Evolution kicks Foley’s Ass, but one day, he call a friend, an old friend, The Rock!! The Rock and Sock connection had a match against Evolution in WMXX, and even Evolution won the match, it was very emotional to see The Rock, the people’s champ in a ring, and not in the big screen.
5. Shelton Benjamin Debuts on RAW: This was a night were the fans really don’t know if Shelton was face or heel, because in Smackdown! He was a heel, Austin told him that he should be concentrate, because this night was his night, Shelton had a match against Triple H, and everyone thinks he will going to lose easy against the game, and even Triple H dominate most time the match, he lost with a distraction of Chris Benoit and it was a dream debut for Shelton Benjamin.
4. Maria’s debut as a announcer: This was a moment we (Men’s) will never forget, Maria, my favorite RAW diva search, returns to RAW, and her first interview was with the new World Tag Team Champions, Regal was a perfect gentleman, but Eugene drop all of his milk in Regal and Maria’s head, but Maria’s head wasn’t the only wet part of her body, you have 2 big reasons to think what was the other part.
3.The threat of the Undertaker to John “Bradshaw” Layfield: BRADSHAW!!! It started with four, Viscera, Gangrel, and now Orlando… this was the words of the Undertaker when he appears on the titantron, threatening JBL, this was a great moment for the Undertaker fans, but The Undertaker just put the cherry in the cake when he looks at the top of the arena and we see Orlando Jordan crucified in the classic “T” Of The Undertaker, what a moment.
2. The WWE Comes To Mexico!! Okay, it’s pretty logic to see this event in number, 2, I know for fans worldwide weren’t anything thrilling, but for us it was the best!! I will never forget that moment, the first event of the WWE in Mexico was in The Arena Monterrey on April 3, we were in ringside, and I can give Lita a kiss!!! Oooo, Lita la bonita!!!.
1. The Undertaker Returns in Wrestlemania XX: 5 or 6 months since the last match of the Deadman, since January, creeping things starts to appear in Kane’s life, a lot of signals points to the return of The Undertaker, and Kane, finally mad, ask Vince for a match against The Undertaker on WMXX, Vince agrees, and a new phrase start appearing in every single event of the WWE, “The Death Will Raise Again”, 1 month, 3 weeks, 29 days, until the day finally arrived, The first to hit the ring was Kane, with a spectacular entrance, then, the lights went out, smoke start to appear in ringside, OOOO YES!!!!, we hear the voice of Paul Bearer, he comes out with his Urn, and some druids, when everyone is in their respective places, the Dong sounds, everyone is in their feet to see the return of the legend, when his theme song start to play, he comes out with his classic gabardine and his hat, but he is dress with his American Badass outfit, anyway, all his way to the ring was, for me, the best moment of the 2004.
Now, let’s start with the worst 10 things in the WWE in this year, I have ones that I thing there’s more than one who are with me:
(NOTE: THE ORDER OF THIS EVENTS ARE FROM THE BAD TO THE WORST)
10. Carlito spits in Cena’s face: I hate this moment, I Really hate it!!!, you know, even his Dad was a legend, he doesn’t have the right to do something like that, I was really pissed!!!, Cena was the U.S. Champion, and a “nobody” comes and spits apple in the face of John Cena, man, I hate this segment, but I was really angry when in the main event Carlito stripped Cena from the U.S. Title, at least it had already passed.
9. The opening segment of RAW when Vince interrupts Trish and Shelton: what was that??, sure it was a joke, but for me it was a disappointing segment, I’m starting to think that the writers need a vacations, they made a joke about the NFL and everyone start to laugh. Look, I have my reasons to say that this segment was a piece of crap, first, the racist comment of Vince, I don’t know how Shelton accept to appear in this one, and last, Vince is a married man, he should show respect to his wife Linda, okay, it was all set up, but hey, he’s grabbing another girl’s ass!!, if I was Linda, I should think to kick Vince’s butt when he arrives home!.
8. The WWE Goes to Iraq: Don’t be offended, first let me say why I think this was a worst moment, first, they are supporting a stupid war, without any reason, now, they already have their leader Saddam, aren’t they happy now??, and the WWE shouldn’t be supporting this war, but I think they don’t have any choice (the wrestlers) I want to finish this by saying “man we are all already lost”
7. Heidenreich and Snitsky meets in Survivor Series: A crappy segment!!!, they look like they want to give each other a kiss and make it over!!!, This segment was really gay, and I don’t have anything against the gay people, they are like us, but professional wrestlers doing something like this?, and to end this pretty bad, they both say cute things, what a waste of time…
6. Heidenreich in the mental institution with Paul Heyman: This was a short segment, but it was like a Mexican program, “no Paul, I will not return again…”, unfortunately, he was lying, well, as you can see, I don’t like Heidenreich, send him to OVW please!!!!.
5. The RAW Diva Search: Stupid segments, WWE Divas??, they’re all models!!, they’re don’t wrestle, it’s crap!!, I admit it, they’re all beautiful with great bodies, but the WWE is for wrestling, it is not for model, well, at least, that was what I think, and look now, the 5 or 6 finalists are back in their “jobs”, bleh, just a bad segment.
4. All fires: A considerable list of WWE Superstars gone from the WWE this year, but the principal was the fire of Stone Cold Steve Austin, deserved??, I think no, but for domestic problems he’s already gone from the WWE, bring Austin back!!, please, I don’t ask more!!.
3. Though Enough: An stupid contest took us some valorous time of Smackdown!, the Though Enough, they do stupid tests to win peoples popularity, and finally, a Dixie Fight in Armageddon ends everything, the people start to booing in the first minute of this match, now everything it’s over, let’s see how many contenders return to the WWE, you should expect to see “The Miz” back with an stupid role, they always return another guy.
2. Mick Foley Defending a War: Like I said before, don’t be offended, but just open your eyes and see what are you fighting for, a lot people had died there and Mick Foley, a person who was against this war, suddenly starts to defend it, why Mick?…
1. All interruptions in JBL’s Matches: He still have that title thanks to his friends, he had made more cheating than Triple H, I hate JBL!!!, and he always win his matches with help, only his “The Great American Bash” match with a bull rope was clean, come on!!, let’s finish the worst segment of the year!!, let’s go with something else!!!.
Well people, it’s time to pass to something else, let’s check every champ of this year, I will tell you who held the championships and, for me, who was the best champion of their respective title, here we go!
CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Okay, let’s see, Rey Mysterio lost his cruiserweight Championship at the beginning of the year against Chavo Guerrero, he defend that title with everything, until he lost it to Spike Dudley, Spike retain that title a lot of time, cheating, but in his clean fight, he lost it in Armageddon against the Smackdown! number 1 announcer Funaki, now, I will not give you a resume of why I think my choice was the best cruiserweight champion, you will tell me if you agree with my choice via e-mail, you can e-mail me to firstname.lastname@example.org, here’s my order:
3. SPIKE DUDLEY
2. REY MYSTERIO
1. CHAVO GUERRERO
WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
I really don’t remember if Molly was champion in this year, but Victoria was a great champion, he retained her title a lot of time, but the Trish steals her title in a battle royal, now, Trish had the women’s title for a lot of time, it wasn’t until November when Lita finally took the title from Trish and she is the current champion, well, here’s my number one Women:
4. MOLLY HOLLY
1. TRISH STRATUS
WWE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS
RIKISHI – SCOOTY 2 HOTTY
THE DUDLEY BOYS
PAUL LONDON – BILLY KIDMAN
RENE DUPREE – KENZO SUZUKI
ROB VAN DAM – REY MYSTERIO
Twelve superstars held the WWE Tag Team Championships, now, Rikishi and Scotty won the most important match in Wrestlemania XX, but the people really don’t like this Tag that much, then, The Dudley Boys jump from RAW to Smackdown! To take the WWE tag team championship from too cool, but the pleasure didn’t last long, a cruiser tag team took the titles from The Dudley Boys, Paul London and Billy Kidman, man, I think this tag team kick ass!!, it was a great tag, but the fear of Billy start and this lead to a fight between this 2, Dupree and Suzuki took advantage of this and they won the tag titles, recently, in a Smackdown! Program, the lose the titles 2 days earlier of Armageddon against RVD and Mysterio, the current WWE Tag Team Champions.
5. THE DUDLEY BOYS
4. RIKISHI & SCOTTY 2 HOTTY
3. ROB VAN DAM & REY MYSTERIO
2. RENE DUPREE & KENZO SUZUKI
1. PAUL LONDON & BILLY KIDMAN
WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS
BATISTA – RIC FLAIR
ROB VAN DAM – BOOKER-T
CHRIS BENOIT – EDGE
WILLIAM REGAL – EUGENE
Well, I really don’t have too much comments of this title, but if you check the champions, there are only 10 superstars who held the World Tag Team Championships!! Brian!, you should need to think in something else!!, you know, RVD and Booker-T were a tag with much speed, just like the current WWE Tag team champions RVD and Mysterio, and La Resistance were a Tag who held the titles for a long time, and they always search opportunities to try to win it, we’re all already know that Edge and Benoit were a temporal tag, they don’t do an instant “click” and it end in a fight, Regal and Eugene?, a joke of tag team, Regal doesn’t work as a face, he should be a heel, he’s a master as a heel!!
6. BENOIT ALONE
5. WILLIAM REGAL & EUGENE
4. CHRIS BENOIT & EDGE
3. BATISTA & RIC FLAIR
2. ROB VAN DAM & BOOKER-T
1. LA RESISTANCE
UNITED STATES CHAMPION
THE BIG SHOW
CARLITO CARIBBEAN COOL
The Big Show started the 2004 as the U.S. Champion, in March, he lost his Title against John Cena in the first match of WMXX, John Cena retain that title a lot of time, but in July, in a 8 man elimination match, Booker-T took the title from Cena and he became the second U.S. Champion of the year, but in a best of five series, Booker-T lost it again at the hands of John Cena, Cena’s happiness didn’t last long, 2 days later, he lost his title against a newcomer, Carlito Cool, in his very first match, he won the U.S Championship, but again, he lost his title in a Smackdown! Main event against John Cena, the current U.S. Champion, you know, I think there’s no doubt about who was the best U.S. Champion of this year.
4. THE BIG SHOW
3. CARLITO CARIBBEAN COOL
1. JOHN CENA
Randy Orton began the year as the Intercontinental Champion, and he held the title until July 11, in a great match against Edge, you know, Edge always do his best, but I think the fans really don’t like him, now as a heel, he’s having more main events and he still doing his best, well, to the point!! The enjoyment of Edge with the title didn’t last long, only 3 months!! He lost the title against Chris Jericho, I really think Jericho deserve a World Title shot, but ok, let’s see the 2005, well, in Taboo Tuesday, he lost his title against Shelton Benjamin, I think this match was the best of the Crap Tuesday, and now, the current Int. champion is the half of the World Greatest Tag Team, Shelton Benjamin.
4. CHRIS JERICHO
2. SHELTON BENJAMIN
1. RANDY ORTON
Only 3 WWE Champions, Lesnar start the year as the champion, and he retain it in Royal Rumble against Hardcore Holly in a BORING!! Match, then, in No Way Out, he lost the title against the Local one Eddie Guerrero!! The most charismatic champion of the 2004!! He retain the title several times against JBL, but one day, in The Great American Bash, in a “Bull rope Match” (What the hell is that??) he finally lost it and since that day, cheating, doing any kind of tricks, JBL had the title and he is the current WWE Champion, I hope he lost the title before WM21.
3. BROCK LESNAR
1. EDDIE GUERRERO (A HUEVO!!)
WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
Great year for Randy Orton and Chris Benoit, Triple H starts the year as the World Champion, he retain the title in Royal Rumble against Shawn Michaels in a last man standing, I really enjoy this match, it was a back and ford and as a fan, ignoring the result, was a great show, then, in WMXX, in a triple threat match between HBK Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit and Triple H, Chris Benoit always try at any way to tap out any opponent, in his special movement, he had Triple H tap out to became the winner of WMXX in a very emotional post match, he held the title until Summerslam, when he lost it against the young Randy Orton, The dream of Orton finally arrived, but it didn’t last long, he lost the title one month later against the Game on September 12, 2 months held Triple H the title when he lost it in a Triple threat match at RAW, but the result of this match was a tie, one month and a half had passed and there’s no World Heavyweight Champion, the title is vacant, until New Years Revolution.
3. TRIPLE H
2. RANDY ORTON
1. CHRIS BENOIT
Well, we finally end with the history of the titles in this year, but the column isn’t over yet! Let’s go with another theme, the best 5 RAW superstars of the year, the worst 5, and the same with Smackdown!
5. Shelton Benjamin 5. Kurt Angle
4. Eugene 4. Rey Mysterio
3. Triple H 3. Eddie Guerrero
2. Chris Benoit 2. JBL
1. Randy Orton 1. The Undertaker (a legend)
5. Kane 5. Carlito Caribbean Cool
4. Maven 4. Hardcore Holly
3. Mark Henry 3. Billy Gunn
2. The Coach 2. The Bashams
1. Simon Dean 1. Heidenreich
You know, this list is very studied by…. ME!!! You disagree with my final opinions?? You know the steps, think you list, write it on E-mail and sent to the next direction: email@example.com
THE BEST WOMEN OF THE YEAR!!!!
Here are the nominees:
CHRISTY, WELL…. HMMMM.... NO, NO CHRISTY!
AND THE WINNER IS…. ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡LITA!!!!!!!
4. KENZO SUZUKI
3. TYSON TOMKO
2. GENE SNITSKY
4. DANIEL PUDER
2. MATT MORGAN
Well people, the last comment of my own in this year, the best WWE Superstar of the year, you know, 3 days of thinking, 3 days of discussion with another WWE fan, and I don’t have only one, there’s two!! A RAW superstar and a Smackdown! Superstar, 2 young wrestlers that made an impact this year, now, without further ado here’s my two WWE “real” Champions
RANDY ORTON JOHN CENA
Well, I’m done with this column, 33 columns I posted this year in www.wrestlingexposed.com, and I will start in new pages to post, this year was perfect for me, and to end this, I will tell you my personal winning moments:
WWE in México
Start practicing Hai Dong Gumdo
Finish my secondary
Being with Vanessa, my best friend, I love that girl
Travel 3 times to Acapulco
Finish the year sane and salve, thanks for your attention!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
ATTE: Alex Varela (- ÞH¥®€X¡@N=¤ÜÞØL__NØ ®€¢Ø®Ð ® -) HAVE A NICE DAY!!!! :)
Copyright 2007 - MOP Squad Sports
Top of Page